Thursday, April 24, 2014

MY, OH MY . . TIME (inevitably) FLIES!!

Time has truly flown . . my little world continues to revolve - and evolve - in Port Angeles, Washington State, U.S.A. It's been a year of vast changes . . a few general day-to-day (what used to be) routines have radically changed (some to my despair) . . most of the changes have been much more external - a few, somewhat dramatic. Such is life. I embrace change, look forward to each day and anticipate that I'll never tire of "the mundane" life in a small town on Washington's spectacularly beautiful Olympic Peninsula.

My last post heralded the beginning of a new journey . . my bariatric journey continues - unabated. Each day brings new experiences, updated aspirations and "educational" opportunities galore! My days have morphed into one humongus la-bore-uh-tory of life. I'm grateful.

My healthier life continues to move forward - some days move faster than others. My "bariatric honeymoon" is SO over;  let the challenge(s) begin. For the first year or so (for most of us), the weight literally, FALLS off. There is little we can do to keep that from happening. Inevitably, those days come to an end and the REAL journey - of a lifetime - begins. Those of us who've had Roux-en-Y Gastric (R-n-Y) Bypass (the common descriptor for this one is "the full-meal deal" of bariatric surgeries - it's the most invasive and is NOT reversible), find that, between twelve and eighteen months post-surgery, the tiny pouch that was created during surgery *softens* . . meaning that it can also s.t.r.e.t.c.h.! For some, the pouch stretches to the point - or beyond - that the natural stomach had been prior to surgery. "All of a sudden" . . you can GAIN weight - at the drop of a hat! My "honeymoon" phase was relatively painless . . the weight did drop off quickly - most of the loss was effortless. Food didn't look or smell as good as it once had and (the few times hunger entered the fray) my *significantly* reduced-in-size "pouch" could only hold a few ounces (two, or so,ounces) at a time. I lost a great deal of weight in a relatively short period of time.



Reality has bitten! Food, once again, smells heavenly and looks divine! One of my neighbors loves to bake - PIES!! There oughtta be a law!! When the inside hallway is suffused with the aroma of a homemade raspberry/rhubarb pie (ooooh Lordy!) I shut / lock my door and head for the "outside" door.

My weight bounces - up and down. A great way to slow down the "acceleration" is via exercise - WALKING is what several of my docs have recommended. Well, it was good while it lasted - then,  I began falling. Last summer and early fall a medical condition called "dropfoot" reared it's ugly head - it caused me to fall without warning. Nine falls (in my mid-60's that's not a good thing!) within a few months - three of 'em resulting in injuries other than my "pride". As a result, I went through some pretty thorough medical testing - primarily cardiac (I was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure almost twenty years ago) and numerous "uncomfy" nervous system tests. There were conflicting results . . my docs are still trying to sort it all out . . but, the suggestion, for the moment . . is to be very very careful with any kind of exercise. I continue to walk, three or four times a week (when at all possible) and make sure to avoid out-of-the-way/sparsely-populated areas.

All in all, I'm doing just fine. I'm actively working on my "it's okay to JUST SAY NO to food" perspective - if it's not okay choice for me and regardless of how good it looks/smells!  I'm also working EVEN HARDER than I worked on the weight loss part of the process . . on the daily JOURNALING aspect of my bariatric life.

For those of us who will, for the rest of our days, follow a food/meal plan necessary to attain our good health and wellness goals - here's the skinny. If, by making one change in our daily routine/habit, we could DOUBLE our WEIGHT LOSS - I think we need to give it some thought . . and, IT'S, basically, FREE and EASY. All we need is a notebook/pen or (better and easier) a computer. Again, here's the skinny . . HA!! Sometimes I crack myself up!! The facts, ma'am . . just the facts!! (most of y'all are way to young to remember the "original" Dragnet TV series . . hence the "facts" giggle).

Ahem . . here's the MAGIC around not only losing weight, but understanding our own personal habits/focus around weight gain/loss issues --> Numerous, well-respected, studies tell us that the simple act of KEEPING A FOOD DIARY can encourage us to eat fewer calories -- and lose weight. My food-journaling (which is supposed to happen DAILY (note to self --> D-A-I-L-Y, Jo!!! <--

My Fitness Pal, the on-line journal/tracker/blog/whatever - makes it SO easy to track my daily intake . . I have NO excuse (well, except for sheer laziness on my part). I have MFP on my computers and it's on my phone; I'd tattoo it on my forehead if I could make that work - those who know and love me agree that a finger string might be a bit less "dramatic"!!


No comments:

Post a Comment