Sunday, January 27, 2013

BEGINNING ANEW . . in the bariatric world.

On Tuesday morning, January 15, 2013, a huge part of my life came to an end - and, a new "life(style)" was born!  I was sixty-three years old (still am!), with two knees that were a stair step away from useless (that hasn't changed - yet) and co-morbidities numerous enough to guarantee that I would, most likely, never see my 75th birthday (severe hypertension, high cholesterol, obstructive sleep apnea).  After much serious contemplation - and with the overwhelming approval of my doctors - I decided to step away from my lifelong food addiction and move forward into the world of enforced addiction control.

Roux-en-Y gastric bypass isn't a guarantee that excess body weight will be lost . . however, it is a TOOL that makes significant weight loss possible - IF it is used as it's designed to be used.

January 14, 2013 - 288 pounds

Pretty radical, huh?  Well, hopefully, it will prove to be more effective and useful than radical!  There's a lot to be said - if you're a chronic over-eater - for a process that has built-in checks and balances.  It's all about choices . . if you chose to override the stoppers you'll experience the significantly uncomfortable consequences!  I'm not a risk-taker when it comes to gastrointestinal pay-backs .. my plan is to toe the line!

There was push-back from family and (fewer from) friends.  I understand the concerns and respect their rights to disagree with my decision;  nevertheless, bottom line -->  it was MY decision to make and (should there ever be negative consequences) the full responsibility lies with me.

I don't intend to post minute-by-minute updates;  suffice it to be said that I'm seeing weight loss each day; I'll post "stats"/photos from time to time.  In the interim, I'm following the plan and looking forward to positive changes in my health status (two hypertension meds have already been discontinued!), approval for knee replacements and a return to the physically active hobbies I love and have really really missed!

I'll leave you with one of my favorite lines of all time:  “For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again. 
― Eric RothThe Curious Case of Benjamin Button  (the underscore/italics are mine)   

No comments:

Post a Comment